Policy Solutions. Advocacy Strategies.
Alissa Eden Halperin, Esq. is Principal Consultant at Halperin Butera:
- Ms. Halperin has served and continues to serve as an appointee to multiple statewide advisory committees and taskforces.
- Ms. Halperin has led major strategic advocacy campaigns, most recently the Pennsylvania Assisted Living Consumer Alliance.
- She has been a frequent lecturer at the Pennsylvania Bar Institute and local Universities around healthcare, long term care, and policy advocacy. Ms. Halperin has presented nationally on many similar topics.
- Ms. Halperin has had published Op-Eds and Letters to the Editor, and has been interviewed and made appearances in newpapers, on TV, and on radio. Additionally, Ms. Halperin has published several law review articles, papers, and how-to manuals to aid consumers in accessing services and/or programs. See the Publications page for a sampling of Ms. Halperin's writings.
- Ms. Halperin has represented multiple individual clients in administrative appeals around Medicaid eligibility or services and was lead counsel on Erb v. McClellan, a federal class action law suit challenging components of the Medicare Part D implementation and how they impacted those Pennsylvanians who are dually eligible for Medicare and Medicaid.
Education and Employment Background:
Ms. Halperin is a 1996 graduate of the University of Washington and a 1999 graduate of the Villanova University School of Law. She is a 1999 recipient of the prestigious Independence Foundation fellowship for public interest attorneys. From 1999 to 2009, Ms. Halperin worked for the renowned Pennsylvania Health Law Project, a non-profit, public interest law firm that provides free legal services to lower-income consumers, persons with disabilities, and the elderly in accessing public funded healthcare coverage and services through Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP, Long Term Care, and other state and federally funded healthcare programs. While at PHLP, Ms. Halperin served as: Independence Foundation Fellow 1999-2001, Staff Attorney 2001-2003, Managing Attorney 2003-2008, and Senior Attorney and Deputy Director of Policy Advocacy 2008-2009.